GB council holds hearing on unsafe structures; County commission talks overlook improvements
Great Bend City Council will meet Monday evening and the Barton County Commission will meet Wednesday morning, and both are planning virtual meetings due to COVID-19 public gathering restrictions.
Great Bend City Council will meet at 6.30pm Monday at City Hall, 1209 Williams. The meetings can also be viewed on Access TV via Cox Cable Channel 20 or live online at www.facebook.com/gbcitycouncil/. The meeting will be recorded.
The agenda includes:
• Organized a public hearing for a property at 814 Monroe.
• A Great Bend Events Center bathroom remodel.
• An offer to seal the cracks in the streets of the city.
• An Airport Letter of Agreement with engineering firm Burns & McDonnell for improvements to Great Bend Municipal Airport.
• Leases for two airport hangars.
The commission will meet at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Barton County Courthouse, 1400 Main in Great Bend. The meeting will be open to the public but will also be livestreamed due to COVID-19.
It will be broadcast via Microsoft Teams. Citizens can view the meeting through their own login or by logging in anonymously.
To participate, follow https://bit.ly/3sXge2b. Those wishing to participate in the discussion of any point may call 620-793-1800 for instructions.
The agenda includes:
• A proclamation of May as National Bike Month.
• A proclamation of May as Mental Health Awareness Month.
• Supported a Kansas Department of Transportation Alternative Transportation Program project involving K-4 scenic upgrades.
• The sale of a county pit property south of Ellinwood.
• A review of the county’s 2020 budget planning meeting last Monday evening.
• A review of the Kansas County Association of Commissioners conference in Salina last week.
Following the agenda meeting, the following appointments are scheduled:
• 10:00 am – review of bids for the Airport Road Overlay Project and the Federal Funds Exchange for 2022 with Barry McManaman, County Engineer.
• 10:30 am – Glass Recycling Project with Sunflower Diversified Services with Shawn Bates, Sunflower Diversified and Phil Hathcock, Director of Solid Waste.
• 10:45 a.m. – County landfill engineering services with Hathcock.
• 11:00 am – Burn ban discussion with Great Bend Fire Chief Luke McCormick.
• 1:15 pm – executive session for solicitor-client confidentiality issues.
• 1:45 pm – Water and Wastewater Improvements with Chris Komarek, Ellinwood City Manager.
• 2:30 pm – regular business discussion with Matt Patzner, Director of Operations.